Sunday, March 1, 2009

Here's what's happened so far....

January - The new year started off great. The boys and I traveled to Dallas to spend a few days with Bryan. Hannah chose to stay with her Nana and Papa in Tulia for the trip. We had a great time back in trailerville. (oh the memories of the summer that brought back). We didn't really do anything exciting, but had a good time at the park and shopped just a little.

The boys waiting to go eat.

Big boy going up the slide all by himself!

Racing in the park.

My Accident Prone Child

School quickly started back for us and we were really excited about Chastin starting district play in basketball. We had a 3 day weekend mid January and he went skiing with the youth group in Ruidosa. They left early Saturday morning. We usually don't hear from Chastin when he's gone on trips from home. (You know he's a teenager, calling mom and dad is not cool.) So when we got a phone call Sunday, I knew something was up. It was the youth director, Chastin was enroute to the hospital via ambulance. Now those of you who don't know Chastin very well are probably surprised at this, but being his mom, my first question was "what now".

Quick update on the last year of Chastin's life -

1. Broke his wrist playing football when it got smashed between 2 helmets. ER visit - cast put on
2. Dropped a 45lb weight on his foot in weight room, ER visit, not broken, but needed crutches
3. Dislocated his thumb playing football, ER visit - brace
4. Severe abdominal pain - ER visit, infection,

I remind you all of this happened in the last year, so back to my story. Now don't get me wrong, I was very concerned about him, but I was not, surprised. I think this kinda shocked the youth director. Anyway Chastin was snowboarding, hit a patch of ice and fell. Xrays show that his collarbone is broken in 2 places - sling, but no surgery - thank goodness. After 6 weeks in a sling, he's still not healed. He's feeling much better and doing more than he really should. He's a trouper. If it were me, I'd still be on the couch in pain! We go back Spring Break for more xrays. Needless to say, basketball and track are not on the agenda for Chastin this year. :(

One of Chastin's friends snapped this picture of him being put in the ambulance. He managed to capture the whole event on film. Thanks JD for taking such great care of Chastin for us.
Chastin was in great spirits considering the situation. He said that the paramedics confessed that he was their first IV in a long time. LOL exactly what you want to hear in this situation.

Bryan finished the project he was working on in Corsicana and got to come home for a few days in we thought. A few days turned into a few weeks. The kids and I were thrilled to have him home with us for a while. We caught up on some much needed quality time together.

Thankfully after an eventful month, January ended calmly for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment